Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE server
  • From: Steven Sroka <sroka.steven@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 09:50:08 -0500
On 13 December 2011 09:40, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/13/2011 03:23 PM, Jörg Stephan wrote:

Hi there,

i tried to ask some people if there is any movement of creating a own
set of openSUSE-Server repos, wikipages, guidlines etc. but i haven't
a clear answer. I just found several pages in openFATE and the wiki
which talk about this idea, but no general reaction. So i will ask
here :-)

Are their people interested in creating openSUSE Server?

I had a conversation on that topic.
Of course the normal installation does work on servers, but there are
some "issues" which doesn't fit.

- Repos are to wide splitted:
For running an webserver you definitely need some community-repos.
Providing them on the wiki would help, and of course talk about that.

- server-kernel is needed
of course, i know, i know, the -desktop kernel works on an server. And
to be honest i just mention it here cause i talkes with a friend and
he just said, having a -server kernel would feel better, and he is
right :-)

No, the default kernel is the server kernel. That's why we created a special
desktop kernel.

Just a question: why is it not labelled at the server kernel?

- a install should be created
i use this "minimal-system" to install my servers. but the first time
i added some software i was surprised that the pattern must be
removed. That's strange.

Might be a bug. Did you file it?

Andreas

Steven Sroka