Re: Re: [opensuse-project] OBS in the product_highlights
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 09:51:48 -0200
On Monday, November 14, 2011 11:23:30 Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Jos Poortvliet wrote:
I'm getting some requests to add more things. Now the stuff above
either has been around for a long time, is really VERY cool, is better
than what we ship or accidentally didn't make it in. But yes, we could
add more. Like a mention of the awesome Games repository. Of course,
with disclaimers and all - but it would be perceived as 'part of
openSUSE 12.1'. At least as add-on services.

The openSUSE distribution has packaging policies, licence checks,
checkin reviews, freezes etc for a reason. Random build service
projects, including projects that also incidentally happen to act as
staging project for Factory are intentenionally not bound to those
rules. Joe Average has no way to find or not the knowledge to judge
whether a project is "safe" or not. That's what we have the official
openSUSE distribution repos for. I therefore strongly oppose against
advertising any repo aside from the offical ones (ie oss, non-oss and
update). We must not train users to install arbitrary stuff the
Windows way. The distro is our app store. If anything is worth to be
used by more than just the few geeks that are capable of building the
package themselves anyways get it into the distro!

I understand some things won't ever make it into the distro. Moreover, users
often want things more up to date than what we ship. Also, many applications
users want simply are not part of our repos. So if OBS is 'officially' not a
solution to what's lacking from openSUSE-proper, we should at some point think
about a solution for that.

But, as nobody seems to disagree with you (yet), I'll not point to other
repositories besides the ones already in. We can discuss our policy for 12.2.

Cheers,
Jos

cu
Ludwig