Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-arm] Growing some openSUSE ARMs
On Fri, September 23, 2011 9:16 pm, Jan-Simon Möller wrote:
<snip>
Well cool - why did it take us ~ 1.5 years to notice ;) .
I just dropped factory pack then as it is too much for just one penguin.
2) SUSE are going to be doing another HackWeek (I think it is next
week)
which means Adrian, Alex, Dirk and anyone else that has knowledge,
experience or interest can join in the fun and pain almost full time
for
a week - let's not kid ourselves here there is a high probability for
lots of pain, but also fun ;-) Thing is HackWeek is not just for SUSE
staff, it is also for the community. You can join in and spend some
quality time on the project with those that know a whole heap of
stuff,
and learn from them and maybe even teach them something too.
We are going to be targeting ARMv7 nothing older I'm afraid this
means
CORTEX-A8 and above (looking at A9 primarily and then the new A15
when
it's available), it gets too messy otherwise and it is already messy
enough.If you have knowledge and experience, please help out. If you
don't take part you have no justification to complain - you've got to
be
in it to win it ;-)
So I'm basically just giving you all a heads up on this effort, and
will
update you as regularly as possible (I'm hoping to do something
weekly
maybe). In the meantime, if you're interested join #opensuse-arm on
Freenode and the opensuse-arm mailing list. *DO NOT HARRASS* for
updates, if there is something to say it will be said. If you've got
question, ask and *WAIT* for an answer. If you want to help out but
want
to know how ask and *WAIT* for an answer. I will try and get
something
on the wiki soon, with a todo list etc.
I think we should get people like Jan-Simon Möller on board as he started
the first openSuSE ARM build in 2009 and also the ARM build in OBS. I
think it'll kick-start the ARM port.
Thanks and here's to getting our Geeko some ARMs.
So let get a crew together - we have the knowledge and the tools. I'm
willing to do my part on the weekends and continue what I did back then.
Time to wipe android from the transformer ?! ;)

That'll be one mean machine. (Certainly the upcoming Transformer 2 (TF201
?) with the Tegra Kal El)

I have looked into the Tegra2.
I've read this story in connection with hardfp.
http://www.slashgear.com/meego-tegra-2-drivers-could-end-android-monopoly-on-nvidia-soc-27167704/
http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/07/nvidia-meego-battle-ground/

This looks quite promising. I don't know when these drivers will be
available I couldn't find any information yet.

Best,
Jan-Simon

Just some information as people are looking into hardware.

The trimslice might also be an option as you'll get 45% off as a
developer, I don't know if it's still valid.
http://trimslice.com/web/dev-kit

IMHO the advantage it that there are a lot of Tegra devices Tablets etc.
The disadvantage is IMHO that the driver is closed source. I don't know if
the nouveau project could change this?

Regards,

Joop.