Re: [opensuse-project] Can we get on this
On Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:36:32 AM Kostas Koudaras wrote:
2011/5/6 Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 18:26 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
http://www.geek.com/articles/games/game-developer-david-braben-creates-a-
usb-stick-pc-for-25-2011055/

128Mb RAM is too little I suspect. I don't think YaST will run in
less than 196M.

Anyway, decent secondhand PCs with comparable performance are
available on ebay for about USD25, maybe a little more. :-)

As it ships pre-installed I doubt we need a full fledged yast around
this to get an installer running. It's rather 'fixed' hardware, so a
simple dd before shipping the sticks might very well be worth it.

Good point. The question (perhaps) is, how do those ARMs perform? I
have some 5-6 year old laptops with 1.5GHz Celerons and 512Mb RAM -
with 10.x, they were still a very capable work platform, but with 11.4,
they're much too slow.

What about if we install 11.1 or 11.4 with Enlightement?
we could try and experiment on it, I have some people that would like
to try it and see if it's possible, I will send an e-mail to see if I
can buy one or two so that we can experiment on that.

Maybe you could try with http://sites.google.com/site/petitelinux/download
wich is based on openSUSE 11.4 with Enlightenment.

Petite Linux is an openSUSE build, created using susestudio.com, featuring the
Enlightenment (e17) Desktop Environment

Features:
Fits on a (live) cd, just insert the cd, reboot, try it out
No need for choices, it works as-is
No clutter, just functionality

If something like that is possible we could organize a hackfest inside
the oSC, what do you think about that?

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.2°C)

Kostas

--
Ricardo Chung | openSUSE Linux Ambassador
Panama

openSUSE 11.4 | KDE 4.6.00 release 6 |
Mesa 3D-Nouveau Gallium 7.10 video drivers