Re: [opensuse-project] Can we get on this
  • From: Kostas Koudaras <warlordfff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 14:36:32 +0300
2011/5/6 Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger wrote:

On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 18:26 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/game-developer-david-braben-creates-a-usb-stick-pc-for-25-2011055/

128Mb RAM is too little I suspect. I don't think YaST will run in
less than 196M.

Anyway, decent secondhand PCs with comparable performance are
available on ebay for about USD25, maybe a little more. :-)

As it ships pre-installed I doubt we need a full fledged yast around
this to get an installer running. It's rather 'fixed' hardware, so a
simple dd before shipping the sticks might very well be worth it.

Good point.  The question (perhaps) is, how do those ARMs perform?  I
have some 5-6 year old laptops with 1.5GHz Celerons and 512Mb RAM -
with 10.x, they were still a very capable work platform, but with 11.4,
they're much too slow.

What about if we install 11.1 or 11.4 with Enlightement?
we could try and experiment on it, I have some people that would like
to try it and see if it's possible, I will send an e-mail to see if I
can buy one or two so that we can experiment on that.

If something like that is possible we could organize a hackfest inside
the oSC, what do you think about that?

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.2°C)