Re: [opensuse-project] How we will use the GSoC money
On Monday 09 May 2011 11:27:10 Vincent Untz wrote:
Le mardi 03 mai 2011, à 12:04 +0200, Vincent Untz a écrit :
Now, it's not too late to change the plan. If you have a better
suggestion, please tell us. There's no need to argue forever about it,
just explain why you think it's good. Keep in mind that if we cannot
receive the money ourselves, this also means that we cannot use it to
buy stuff for openSUSE.

Thanks for all the contributions to this discussion. There are a few
things that were probably badly explained in my original mail but clear
in my mind, and they might be useful for everyone who has suggestions:

The main issue is "to which bank account should the money be sent?".
There are several options:

- a not-for-profit organization related to openSUSE. Then, the money
can be used for hardware like suggested in this thread, or for other
activities.

- a not-for-profit organization not related to openSUSE. In this
case, this would be a donation on behalf of the openSUSE project. I
don't think we can reasonably ask most organizations to keep the
money for us, especially as it might be a difficult task to handle
from an accounting perspective.
(Except for a few orgs who do that kind of job, like SPI or SFC, but
that requires some paperwork and I'm not sure we want to do that and
then create two months later a Foundation)

- a for-profit organization (most likely a company). If a company
promises to use the money the way we want, for instance. It's worth
pointing out that we will have no guarantee that the money will be
used the way we want, and I'm unsure how well this works with
Google, but we can check.

- an individual. There are tax concerns for the person, and it puts
some risk/pressure on her/him. I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.

I hope that helps clarify the background of the discussion.

Considering many seem to love the suggestion of supporting OBS somehow and
Pacman might be a particularly 'needy' cause, the obvious question now is -
Pascal, is there any way we can help Pacman within the above constraints?

You already mentioned there is no organization behind it which complicates it.
But maybe you know a 'friendly' not-for-profit which can help us, or someone
associated with Pacman does have a company which could help?

(if it wasn't obvious I support Adrian and Ismael in their enthusiasm for
Pascal's request)

Cheers,

Vincent