Re: [opensuse-project] How we will use the GSoC money
On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 12:12:59PM -0600, Stephen Shaw wrote:
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 05:00, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Apologies for the top post.

Is there a company/sponsor that if we sent them the money would agree
to buy SSDs for the build farm?

I can imagine $8000 in SSDs having a major impact on the build farm.
And that in turn could draw in even more obs users/contributors.

Greg

The only issue that I have with this is that OBS would probably not
benefit from SSDs. We were having this discussion on a different oS
ML. SSDs do really poorly at writing data to the disk.

That is not true at all, SSDs scream at writing and reading. If you
haven't tried this out for yourself with one of the "modern" SSDs, you
are seriously missing out.

Its very likely that we wouldn't gain much from buying a bunch of
SSDs.

Now that is true, as it doesn't seem like we are I/O bound, but CPU
bound for the most part.

Getting some more big multi-processor servers would help out OBS a lot,
but I think that $8000 isn't going to help us much there :(

thanks,

greg k-h