Re: [opensuse-project] Re: zypper slow
On Friday, April 22, 2011 10:43:24 PM Chris Jones wrote:
Well I did try with the Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and with the same result, which
is what I expected. Because if it was a DNS issue for some reason, it
wouldn't be limited to zypper and openSUSE. As previously mentioned both
yum and apt work perfect and fast in both functioning and downloading of
packages.

I freshly installed openSUSE last night and updated. The actual launch and
function of zypper doesn't seem to be the issue. It definitely appears to
be the downloading of packages as the actual noted download speeds of each
package was VERY inconsistent. I suspect it's the mirror from where my
packages are sourced.
As I'm a relative newcomer to openSUSE, I have no idea how to check which
server it is using for the sourcing of the packages. I am located in
Queensland, Australia if it helps.

The information is logged in /var/log/zypper.log and it is a lot of things
that are logged, so you probably want to run something like:

grep -i "mediacurl(http://"; /var/log/zypper.log > zypper-http

and then look into zypper-http file with your favorite text editor.
Some lines will be just checking repos, others will be redirects.

I recommend not to use mirrors directly, unless you are confident that
selected mirror is trustworthy. Using http://download.opensuse.org ensures
that meta files describing repositories and files, including check sums and
signatures are correct, as they are served directly from
http://download.opensuse.org .

Cheers

<snip a bit oversized signature> :)

--