Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-project (496 mails)

< Previous Next >
[opensuse-project] openSUSE Conference 2011: program commitee meeting #1
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 01:56:42 +0200
  • Message-id: <20110421235642.GM21543@hera>
Also on the wiki:
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Conference_Planning_2011_Meeting_20110421

The program committee for the openSUSE Conference 2011 held its
first meeting today, on #opensuse-project.

The team consists of the following:
* Vincent Untz
* Bryen Yunashko
* Alan Clark
* Jos Poortvliet
* Will Stephenson
* Pascal Bleser

Everyone was present, except Will who couldn't attend at that
time of day.

The complete log is available online:
http://community.opensuse.org/meetings/opensuse-project/2011/opensuse-project.2011-04-21-21.16.log.html
as well as the summary of action items and decisions:
http://community.opensuse.org/meetings/opensuse-project/2011/opensuse-project.2011-04-21-21.16.html

Topics
~~~~~~
The predefined topics for this meeting were as follows:
* Theme
* Format
As usual, a few more topics arose during the meeting.

Theme
~~~~~
The discussion around the theme of the conference revolved
around two aspects:
* the motto (or tag line) of the conference, with two proposals
currently floating around:
* "Collaboration across borders" (same as 2010)
* "rwxrwxrwx" (openSUSE: read, write, execute, for you, the
project, and the world)

The debate mostly went about how much collaboration, and how
much openSUSE centric sessions should be held.

Collaboration is important in many ways:
* openSUSE is an open minded project that actively seeks
collaboration with other open source projects
* doing so at the conference makes it more visible in the press
and marketing wise in general (as in: we know it's like that,
but not everyone knows nor sees us like that just yet)
* of course, it also gives us opportunities to get in touch with
other people and projects who are not in the openSUSE community
and not directly contributing to openSUSE, but still of high
interest for current or future undertakings of our project, as
well as to mutually benefit both our project and other open
source projects

Nevertheless, the openSUSE Conference in 2010 was felt as not
making up enough time for topics that are specific to our
project. As such, we agree that the focus needs to be shifted a
bit more towards openSUSE itself.

The team agreed on the following:
* the motto is not critical right now, and may still be decided
upon later, especially as it also involves other people in the
community, such as the marketing and artwork teams
* the program committee will request the support of the openSUSE
marketing team for the motto, albeit the general theme of the
conference will be decided by the program committee; also, the
final say on the motto will remain with the committee, but only
to veto in if it does not match the theme
* the program committee will have as goal to reach a ratio of
around 2/3 of sessions being openSUSE centric, and 1/3 about
collaboration with other projects
* for sessions on collaboration, we will reach out to projects
and people who work on things that have a direct connection with
what we do

Bryen will contact the marketing team to gather their support on
the conference motto.

Format
~~~~~~
We had a few discussions and ideas about the format of the
conference -- more specifically, how to organize the schedule
and the sessions themselves.

We agreed on the following:
* the program committee will write up guidelines and good
practices for presentations and BoFs (or what we call
"read-only" and "read/write" sessions, respectively) to provide
some support for speakers
* the program committee will put a strong focus and favor
"read/write" session proposals, as we believe that it provides
more value to the community, give more people a chance to chime
in with their ideas and experience, and also because we are (or
at least try to be) an open project without much bureaucracy

Venue
~~~~~
Neither the date nor the location of the conference are known at
this time.

Andreas Jaeger is currently actively seeking options in the area
of N├╝rnberg in Germany, and we hope to have a solution very
soon.

The venue will have to have at least 5 distinct rooms (of which
one will be used by the SUSE Labs conference) to provide
sufficient capacity for the attendees, as well as enough
flexibility to organize the schedule.

Call for Papers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not having the date nor the location at this point is a major
hurdle for a Call for Papers. Indeed, most people will be
reluctant to post a proposal if they don't know where and when.

Nevertheless, making the Call for Papers is quite pressing, as
it typically involves a somewhat longer period of time for
people to send their proposals, as much as it needs to take a
few days into account for the program committee to decide on
those.

Jos will write up a draft for the Call for Papers, which will
then be quickly circulated across the conference committee for
amendments. It will not be published just yet, as we prefer to
have a confirmation on the date and the location before we do
(for the reasons mentioned above.)

The next program committee is next week, where we will decide
what to do with the Call for Papers (publish or wait for the
confirmation of location and date), especially if location and
date are not known at that time.

Alan will send out emails to several openSUSE mailing-lists to
ask for input on
* current or upcoming topics, e.g. in terms of technology
* major undertakings and tasks that need to be addressed soon,
and where one or more sessions during the conference could be
helpful for collective brainstorming
* people/projects to invite for close collaboration during the
conference (e.g. systemd, smolt, OBS, Fedora marketing team,
etc...)

The program committee will collect a few proposals for
topics/tracks in order to facilitate the submission of sessions
during the Call for Papers phase.

Infrastructure
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The cfp@xxxxxxxxxxxx mailing-list will be used again to contact
the program committee as well as to submit proposals after the
publication of the CfP (unless we come up with a better solution
in the mean time.) Bryen will contact Henne (our mailing-list
admin) to configure the mailing-list for the program committee
for 2011.

We also agreed on using Indico [1] again, mostly because it is
already in place.

[1] http://cdsware.cern.ch/indico/

Next meeting
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The next meeting of the program committee is scheduled for next
week, 2011-04-28, at 19:00 UTC.

cheers
--
-o) Pascal Bleser
/\\ http://opensuse.org -- we haz green
_\_v http://fosdem.org -- we haz conf
< Previous Next >