Re: [opensuse-project] Come and help!
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:08:53 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Traffic is too high for a volunteer proxy, unless there is an
organized body of proxies. It makes more sense to me that helpers have
a peep at the forums, too. Devs going there can learn first hand what
users are doing with their creations, so IMNSHO they must go there -
else I'm reminded of the government for the people without the people
adage.

I don't like forums in general myself, I don't know why people are
attracted to them; but it is a fact they like it more. And the nntp
interface is perfect for older cats like me.

Many of the people in the forums are newcomers - I think because they
come to the forums, not to the mail list. The people here are older,
probably. The traffic there is higher, more questions, many basic
questions. Many of those we can handle. It is when they start asking
in tides about new things like tumbleweed or gnome 3 that we can not
help them - which is why we need knowledgeable helpers.

Perhaps suggest they take such questions to where they will be heard?
There are lots of occasions where an opensuse list is not the right
place to pursue a particular topic, and people take it directly to the
<project>-list. It seems quite reasonable to suggest to a forum-user
that 'you better ask that question' over on 'list77' (which has the
right people listening).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.4°C)