Re: [opensuse-project] AN OPEN PROPOSAL ON openSUSE VERSION NUMBERING
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <albert.passalacqua@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 21:03:18 -0500
Hi,

2011/4/11 Rajko M. <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Effort is not equal to making a complete new release.
It is at the level of tell me once how to do it and I can do it, with all time
constrains I have right now.

Preparing the ISO is not enough. You have to prepare different
installation media, *test* them, because it's not that what comes out
from Studio works every time, and then update mirrors. A lot of work
that seems not justified, considering that many upgrade every eight
months anyway.

... which is substantial improvement over
current system where installation of released version is followed with
hundreds of MB of download for updates.

It might be for places where connection speed is low. For others it is
really not a big deal, since updates can be installed during the
installation process.

It is download that is slower then DVD, or even better USB stick. I did
installations of this type, and I know that I lost each end every user
attention after some 2 hours. It is simply too long to keep them focused.
School hour is not limited to 45 minutes without reason.

Well honestly that is a very specific purpose. It does not take two
hours to have a fully installed and updated system. On a recent
machine it takes about 10-15 minutes to install, and with a broadband
connection and delta RPM's updates come quickly.

Best,
Alberto