Re: [opensuse-project] future features
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 11:47:09 -0400
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I've received a few requests already from ppl asking "what will the next
openSUSE release bring". Now I know a few things being worked on, from
Webpin2 to the bretzn/appstream stuff. And of course the obvious "latest
software packages". But I guess there are other ideas people would like
to work on, right?

== warning == semi long email below

Jos,

Are you able to see the GSoC ideas at google-melange?

If so, this one should be on your list to review:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/harshad/1

The original idea from the opensuse gsoc ideas page was:

===
Use btrfs snapshots in zypper

Yum has support for doing snapshots before starting a transaction. If
the transaction goes wrong, the state is rollbacked to the snapshot
before the transaction. It might be a good idea to implement this
feature in zypper for example using snapper -
http://gitorious.org/opensuse/snapper

Required knowledge:

C++ (intermediate)

Mentor: MENTOR NEEDED

Student: STUDENT NEEDED
===

Note the lack of a mentor in both the ideas page and in the proposal.
(A student just today sent in the proposal to google-melange, so we
now have at least one potential student to do the work.)

Maybe you can help round a mentor up.

I think this is the kind of improvement which can both enhance
reliability and be pushed via marketing.

I've already said I want to try to get next4 snapshot support into
opensuse 12.1 and btrfs snapshots will definitely be there, if not yet
production ready.

(That is not a GSoC project. Just a normal volunteer effort.)

Further, I have offered to be a GSoC mentor on extending xfstests to
cover snapshots. The purpose being to increase the automated testing
of snapshot functionality. Hopefully for both btrfs and ext4
snapshots.

I reached out to the small group of students that worked on the ext4
kernel logic for snapshots to see if one of them would be interested
in that GSoC project. (In fact, that contact led to the above zypper
/ snapshot integration proposal.)

I expect another of the students in that group to apply for the
xfstests extension project in the next couple days.

Once all the proposals are in (they're due by Friday), then the
opensuse team will prioritize the projects and pick those it wants to
actually follow through on. If you agree with me that snapshots are a
great functionality that can be leveraged inside opensuse, then maybe
you could weigh in on the decision making process to that effect.

Thanks
Greg