Re: [opensuse-project] future features
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:54, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 11:30 -0700, James Mason wrote:
I'd like to see us build some more media-friendly apps.  Boxee, in
particular, annoys me by being Ubuntu-only.

??? It doesn't market itself as Ubuntu-only.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxee>

But there are numerous such applications [starting with Myth TV].
Personally I see little overlap with a workstation / PC distribution,
and a 'media-center',

Plus one million and then some.... openSUSE has no real reasonable
possibility for Boxee or SopCast without compiling from source,
crossing your fingers and praying to your favorite deity. Veetle kind
of works... but poorly.

Why do I list these? They are all apps I use on my MediaPC (for local
media, Hulu, sports streams from Myp2p.eu etc). This MediaPC
currently runs Ubuntu. Why Ubuntu? Because there are packages for
each of these, and/or they "just work" in Ubuntu. I've tried time and
again to set it all up on openSUSE, but I don't want to (nor have the
time to) sit there, pull down the sources and build these apps and
then spend 2 hours trying to convince Firefox to hand off sop: links
correctly :-(

Or other little non-MediaPC things like say... making sure Skype works
"out-of-the-box" when a user installs it on openSUSE. Right now,
that's not the case. If you install from a 64 bit LiveCD... unless
you know it won't work after you install the provided RPM, you will
spend an hour or so hunting down multiple missing packages and trying
to launch Skype... hunting more missing packages etc etc.

I guess what i'm saying is... there's a lot of hopefully easy stuff
that we can do to take the rough/sharp edges off an otherwise solid
distribution.

C.