Re: [opensuse-project] Contrib project
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 11:54:50 +0100
So we have two categories of packages left which cannot be in
Factory, firstly software which is inherently insecure and
cannot be maintained in Factory and secondly software which is
volatile in nature. Do you have some examples or even numbers for
these categories? Even rather nightmarish stuff like phpMyAdmin
seems to be in Factory now and for the second category only

As community members submitted it, I take it they commit to maintain
it for the lifetime of the openSUSE release its in.

For phpMyAdmin I just sent them a email making it very clear, that
for it Security _requests_ active maintenance.

For other not-so-critical packages we can be a bit more relaxed, but
not for phpMyAdmin, which was in the top-10 of security issues the last
releases we had it.

(Chromium might be also a candidate, if we have commitment that updates
get pushed as fast as we get them with Firefox.)

That is a good argument that we actually don't need such a repo
at all.

(phpMyAdmin was just an example based on what I frequently see in
Apache logs and never part of Contrib.)

--
Guido Berhoerster