Re: [opensuse-project] CC (english-us and others) versus GFDL
On Monday 14 February 2011 03:51:36 pistazienfresser (see profile) wrote:
There are several different versions of the Creative Commons licenses
(CC) that are not only translated but adapted to different legal systems
(hopefully with success).

So the 'probability' (to phrase it politely and cautious) that e. g. a
German-Germany CC would be rated valid in relation between a German
User/Consumer and (a) German legal person (or natural person/many
natural persons working together) would be much higher than for a text
under the only existing and not translated nor adapted only (US-)English
version of the actual GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL).

I assume that the according relations may exist with Japanese-Japan
versions of the CC ... etc.

And also at least the de and en Wikipedia are using (at least first and
foremost - e. g. once there was dual licensing in the de.Wikipedia).

I think more special informations are already posted in this
mailing-list [in relation to the terms of the German wiki - if not all
deleted in the time after that ...], are available via a common search
engine, in a library of a bigger court or an university or just by
paying some Euro/Dollar/... to a law related data-base (de: beck-online,
juris, etc.) .

Regards
Martin Seidler
(pistazienfresser)

I agree with Martin. There are good practical reasons to use CC licenses
rather than the GFDL.

And the best reason is that CC has done some serious legal weight-lifting
that the FSF hasn't - namely adapting to national copyright law in nations
other than the United States.

CC licenses operate on 3 levels:

1. Desired goals. Unconditional sharing? Sharing only if shared alike?
Commerical use allowed? Only non-commercial use allowed? etc.

2. Drafting licences that create the desired goals *within the framework of
a particular nation's copyright laws*

3. The easily understood layman's documents & logos that tell users what
rights the have with a given work.

All licenses have the first level, and the third level has been a big
driver in making CC famous. However, the international value of CC
licences is actually found in the second level.

As an author, you can decide on a number of rights to give your users
(level 1). Be sure those rights are founded in the legal principles of
their particular country (level 2). Yet, be able to show your users a
simple rendition of what those rights mean for them (level 3).

We are not afforded this with the GDFL, yet it is in our interest to take
advantage of it.

Refilwe Seete
openSUSE Testing Core Team