Re: [opensuse-project] Time to decide: 11.4 or 12.0?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 10:22:51 +0100
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:21:20 +0100, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

3. Desktops are about making information workers productive -
period. They're *not* about eye candy or games or media consumption.

I would qualify that slightly differently -

Desktops are _primarily_ about making information workers productive
- eye candy, games and media consumption are secondary, but
nonetheless important.

Up until the iPad took off, I would have agreed with you - Windows
home users *were* about games and media consumption. But I think the
tide is turning and consumers really don't want the hassle of a "whole
PC" when they can get game consoles and tablets and phones that show
movies and play games.

Sofar I have only seen one iPad, and the people who bought it are
pretty "gadgety". They're also the only ones I know with an iPhone.
I'm sure both will become increasingly popular, but I don't see that
having any real impact on what openSUSE/Linux needs to be good at.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.7°C)