Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE & Attachmate
  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:31:49 -0800
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 08:57:42 +0000, Andrew Wafaa <awafaa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
SUSE Studio is part of the SUSE business ubit, so yes it comes under the
SLE
banner. The Build service is indeed part of the openSUSE project.

Ah ... good ... that's more or less what I wanted to hear. I've "invested"
time heavily in the SUSE Studio at the expense of OBS. Rather than building
packages for OBS I've been packaging them into appliances directly from the
upstream source because it gets them into users' hands faster that way. So
at some point I need to decide whether to continue down that path or switch
to a mode like "package in OBS and distribute using the Add-on Creator".

Basically my understanding from the "interview" is that the status quo
remains - there are no changes planned immediately. Attachmate have
done
enough due dilligence to warrant their purchase, but they will not be
able
to make any firm descisions or plans on how things go in the mid to long
term, which isn't completely unreasonable.

Yes, business decisions are typically made quarterly based on hard numbers
and realistic forecasts, not wishes of open source developers or users of
"free" services like SUSE Studio. ;-)

--
http://twitter.com/znmeb http://borasky-research.net

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." -- Paul
Erdős