Re: [opensuse-project] Time to decide: 11.4 or 12.0?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 12:18:45 -0500
On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Matt Gray <mjg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
I entirely agree with your advocacy in favour of full SSD support for
11.4, i have an SSD in my desktop, but i don't see how it is
substantially different from any other rejected feature as a
justification for version number changes, if those rejected ones were
not good enough already.

Probably because I'm a storage engineer!

But also, SSDs are coming down in price. $120 for a decent 40GB SSD
right now I believe. It is claimed the Intel Value SSD (40GB ~ $100)
will increase desktop performance almost 250%!

I think / hope SSD adoption in laptops will be a major transition in 2011.

But without discard support, the performance of these devices degrades
over time, so a semi-knowledgeable buyer when looking around at Linux
Distro's for his new laptop could easily decide to use a distro that
claims fully integrated SSD support (including integrated discard
support).

And since it really does involve a multitude of little package
improvements around the distro to get full support, it is something
openSUSE can do better than other distros that just keep their
packages up to date.

Currently, factory (and even 11.3) has 90% of what is needed but it
never gets invoked because it requires the user to get in and either
manually create cron table entries or edit /etc/fstab.

The only new code I see being needed is a Yast enhancement to notice
it is partitioning / formatting a SSD and give the user a choice of
discard mechanisms. (Or simply force one of the 3 options.) 2 of the
3 are behaviorally similar to defrag and thus require a cron entry (or
similar) to invoke them from time to time. I'm assuming Yast could
create that cron entry.

It would be best if it could done in such a way it happens in the
install process of the distro. ie. The installer realizes the target
is an SSD and ensures that discard is handled appropriately.

Unfortunately, the realtime option (mount --discard) depends on SSD
performance that is not yet in production (shipping) drives, so it is
almost ignorable at this point, but that may change over the course of
2011. (I've heard rumours there a pre-production drives that can
leverage realtime discard for a performance gain.)

If it is too late for 11.4 to get those minor yast enhancements, then
I personally would like to see that made a goal for 11.5. But it
needs to something that gets coordinated support at the top in my
opinion. That way the developers, testers, Marketing, PR people are
all in the loop.

Greg