Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE LTS codename
  • From: Kim Leyendecker <kimleyendecker@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 16:30:25 +0100
I think it's ok if it just called openSUSE 11.4 LTS.

On 2010-12-11 Greg offered the following:

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 7:54 AM, Kim Leyendecker

<kimleyendecker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In the most points, I agree with you. But How shall we name it during the
discussion on the Mailing list?
Given Tumbleweed is used for a rolling upgrade release, Cactus,
Redwood, Sequoia all sound good to me for a LTS release, but a
European may not grasp the last 2 very readily.

Even more long-lived and desert specific: Joshua Tree or Yucca.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_brevifolia

fyi: all of the above but the cactus can live thousands of years, but
they may be restricted to the American West, so not good international
names.

Greg
I think as long as it is something that is generally recognizable, it should
work,
regardless of which country it is found in. Take 'Sputnik' for instance, it
certainly is symbolic of First Manned Object in Orbit, that most, world-wide
would
recognize, while Apollo might be symbolic for first man walking on the moon,
but
the countries most certainly are different as Russia and the US are arguably
opposites in those races. The ICONs, the names of the events are
international in
recognition and that is the key. Yucca, Joshua_tree, Gobi (as in desert),
Sahara,
whatever long lived thing, place, event.... Just as long as it can easily be
associated with longevity with a large number of people. For the uninformed,
well, they can be informed of the significance anytime. I mean, their
education can
be so wonderful :) Hell, what is a Gecko anyway? Kinda of a lizard isn't
it?
Or, maybe just a cartoon icon advertising car insurance? Who cares...as long
as it
is, or becomes recognizable.

Richard