Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE LTS
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 10:57:24 +0100
Hi,

in that post I'm picking up different points from the whole thread so
don't be confused about where it ends up in the thread view ;-)

So please let me summarize some of the important information.

I (and others) feel there is a gap between openSUSE and Novell's SLE
which needs to be filled somehow. My example was that I obviously won't
buy SLES to run it on my hosted server for my personal non-commercial
use but running openSUSE is also not really an option there because its
very short lifetime. In some cases it's just not possible to update w/o
too much risk and downtime. And a short excursion to Tumbleweed: I think
this is pretty interesting and is what I'll probably run on my desktop
at home and some other machines but it's still not something I would
roll out on some systems. So this is not the solution I am looking for.

Now coming back to the two options we discussed to fill the gap.
I actually would prefer to have CentOS like thing because it can be
maintained for a longer time as an LTS version is likely to be
maintained. It's (mostly) binary compatible and therefore would probably
be more attracting to business users.
It was also said it would be less work what I do believe as well but
it's not that cheap as some people may think. From some comments on the
thread it's pretty clear that the "CentOS" thing currently could not use
most of the openSUSE infrastructure and no protected trademarks. The
work of rebranding and maintaining/paying the needed infrastructure is
not to neglect.

For the above reasons I don't want/cannot drive an effort to create an
SLE clone. If someone wants to do it now it's time to step up as I don't
think it makes sense to do both. (Feel free to send me a mail ;-))

If there won't be such a thing in the foreseeable future I will start to
look into the "LTS" solution more seriously and will check with
different people how to make it possible, setting up a coordination
mailing list and so on.

As Wolfgang wrote in his blog post, the main idea here is to actually
_try_ to do it, not discuss every potential problem and approach to
death and, then, never actually try to implement it.

Yes, and unless someone starts an openSLE soonish I'll just start.
But I still would appreciate if people join in ;-)

(**) really need to come up with a better name, it has nothing to do
with what Canonical is doing for their Ubuntu LTS, and might sound
misleading in that regard) -- what about "openSUSE EL" (Extended
Lifetime) ?

Yeah ;-) openSUSE (E)nterprise (L)inux

Actually I agree some sort of name would be nice but I'm not creative
enough to come up with one.

Wolfgang