Re: [opensuse-project] Announcing openSUSE Tumbleweed project
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 14:07:10 -0800
On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 09:10:40AM +0100, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Hey,

On 11/30/2010 06:11 PM, Greg KH wrote:

There's been many discussions over the past years about a "rolling
update" version of openSUSE

So the time now is to stop talking about it, and actually trying to do
it :)

I like that attitude :)

So, I'd like to propose "openSUSE Tumbleweed" a repo that is a rolling
updated version of openSUSE containing the latest "stable" versions of
packages for people to use.
So, any thoughts, ideas, objections?

Yeah, you know me I always have an opinion.

How about we use the repository that everybody already is using and that
has the same purpose as you describe (Rolling and Feature updates),
Packman, for this instead of creating yet another one. One of your goals
is less repositories right? ;)

All we would need for this is to make it possible to submit to packman
from OBS. As the packman project also use the BS that shouldn't be too
hard. Adrian?

So you want to host this on Packman? Um, I think that would require a
lot more resources on their side than on the openSUSE side at the
moment, and not really for much benefit.

thanks,

greg k-h