Re: [opensuse-project] Announcing openSUSE Tumbleweed project
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 12:24:07 +0100
* Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2010-12-01 09:19]:
On 2010-11-30 09:11:04 (-0800), Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
There's been many discussions over the past years about a "rolling
update" version of openSUSE on lots of different mailing lists and in
person a different conferences.
So the time now is to stop talking about it, and actually trying to do
it :)
[...]
So, any thoughts, ideas, objections?

Excellent idea!
Just needs to be filled with manpower now ;)

:-)

One other thing I'm worried about is that this might result in some
contributors focusing on the rolling update, and some others focusing on
the "usual" release. Ideally, people would work together, and on both,
but that's "ideally", and things will be different. So that literally
splits our effort.

This of course means something from a manpower perspective, but there's
a bigger risk in divergence: code/technical divergence, but also
community divergence.

On the other hand, I do understand that we probably want something with
low overhead when it comes to submitting a change.

So how should we do things? Can we require that all changes going in one
will go to the other in some way too? Or do we need a model that is
similar to Debian's one?

To summarize, I don't want people to have to choose between our current
way and the rolling release way -- if they do have to choose, they'll
just go "oh well, I don't care about the other" and we'll be losing
something.

I share that concern, and in addition I also think that in some
cases where package maintainers work on both the rolling release
and Factory equally it will put additional load on them and thus
divert resources which would otherwise be spent on the regular
releases. This of course depends on the development project,
some projects already maintain such continuously updated but
relatively stable branches of their packages.
But apart from the additional testing this also means dealing
with additional bugreports. Not all bugs are simply solved by
updating to newer versions, the combination of lower-level
libraries and their higher-level consumers requires coordination
efforts and testing to avoid occasional breakage as in Factory
and on.

--
Guido Berhoerster