Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE LTS
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:39:52 +0100
Hi,

Am 01.12.2010 00:02, schrieb jdd:
Le 30/11/2010 23:46, Pascal Bleser a écrit :

Stop here. Please read that post.
Done?

thanks Pascal for posting it here so I can skip that step myself ;-)

I think most sensible products already have a running and fixed
version (at the source level at least).

can't you have apache 2 bug free? postfix? patched kernel?

What I know is that I *have* at hand, thanks to my provider work, a
running kernel for as long as I want (it's the same for all the
installed distros).

* first hint: ask host provider for help, they already do a part of
the work (and source have to be available).

I have to hope that people responsible for keeping openSUSE up to date
in hosting environments (I'm not sure if there are many who do it
though) are reading here. I don't know who is rolling out openSUSE and
would be interested in supporting the idea.
I _know_ that 1und1 is still offering 10.3 on their vservers and I'm
pretty sure it's not really maintained.
So if anyone has more details about openSUSE hosters just let me know
(probably via private mail) so we might contact them for their thoughts.

the forst task is to list the really basic unavoidable applications :-)

Basically right but I'd rather take another approach. I don't want to
have "planning" delays the "doing" anymore. I for myself are willing to
fail at some point if contribution is not enough to do anything serious.
I would rather just start (probably already with 11.1 running out of
maintenance by end of this year) but even for that we need "some" people
to join in.

And yes, I'm expecting limitations (at least in the beginning) like:
- we will probably be slow with releasing updates
- we might not be able to backport everything and need to be a bit less
strict with version upgrades
- we will never be able to cover everything from an openSUSE release
- we need to focus on server services (translate: remote security)

Wolfgang