Re: [opensuse-project] Announcing openSUSE Tumbleweed project
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:15:11 -0800
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:00:04PM +0100, C wrote:
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 21:26, Greg KH wrote:
Without Packman support for at least some of the key kmod's and codecs
needed by tumbleweed, I seriously doubt it will get much  end-user
adoption.

I don't care about closed source kernel modules that violate my personal
copyright, and neither should you.

There is a world of difference between a "working" install of openSUSE
and an install that is considered useful by the Desktop user base.
Thus the comment about key kmods and codecs is quite valid. Without
that.... a tumbleweed distro (something I'm VERY interested in) drops
to a passing curiosity.

This is not to say that a tumbleweed can't have those extras, or must
have them.. but they should be considered/be available in some form.

Again, through the openSUSE infrastructure, we can not provide those
extras, as everyone well knows.

But, as always, it should be trivial to build them by third parties if
they so desire. Tumbleweed would not take away that ability at all for
anyone.

thanks,

greg k-h