Re: [opensuse-project] long term support status
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:05:27 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2010-11-22 at 04:27 -0500, Refilwe Seete wrote:

As an alternative solution...

Our security commitment is "2 releases + 2 months". This commitment has an
important
knock-on effect - changing the release cycle means changing the length of
security
support.

I like this very much!

I have said several times that I know several people (soho), some of them contributors, that have left the distro because 18 months is too little.

With our current 8-month cycle, the support period is 18 months...But if we
extended
our release cycle to 12 months, the support period would also be extended and
become
26 months. This would return openSUSE back to its original security commitment
of 2
years.

I have tabled a proposal on openFATE that would move us to a 1 year cycle, but
give
us two releases a year in addition to extending the security period to 2 years
+ 2
months[1]. Basically, we release a major release once a year and then publish a
minor 'bug-fix' or 'service pack' update 4-8 months later.

That would be nice.

It could be one "standard" release and one "rolling" release.

The idea has been unpopular so far.

It seems many people like the feel of "new", but are also unable (or unwilling)
use the Build Service to update their desired software...under such conditions,
they
understandably do not want a longer release cycle.

I do not know if I want a longer release cycle, but I do want indeed a longer maintenance period, even if the last leg of the period is strictly security bugs only, as in the old SuSE times.

Anyway, if you think it's a good idea, vote it up and tell your friends.
If you think it's a bad idea, vote it down and tell your friends.

I'll do. Reposting to the Spanish list.

Refilwe
[1] https://features.opensuse.org/310122

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)