Re: [opensuse-project] Zombie bugzilla entries
  • From: Christian Trippe <trippe_mailinglisten@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 21:57:48 +0100
Hi!

Am Freitag, 12. November 2010, 20:42:38 schrieb Jiri Slaby:
Hi,

recently, I've been crawling through open bugzilla entries and found out
few which are being years unattended. I investigated further and there
are few problems tightly connected to that.

1) There are open bncs against no longer maintained releases.
10.2+10.3+11.0 reported bugs count is 803 now. These reports are years
old and doesn't fit to the current codebase and hence should be mostly
closed. This obviously won't help anything since there will accumulate
similarly useless (from the code perspective) reports after some time
again.

A solution is to close these automatically right after the product which
they are reported against become unmaintained. The ones which still can
be reproduced in later releases would be reopened manually by reporters.
This is how fedora bugs are handled.

I think automatically closing bugs is not good. But as already suggested by
others, e.g. Martin, I think it is fine to ask the reporter if he or she can
still reproduce a bug with a current version. If you get no response close the
bug after some time (e.g. 4 weeks), otherwise move it to a maintained release.

Of course you will probably close some still valid bugs this way, but I think
it is probably worth to do so to get the number of reports still manageable.

This at least is what we are doing for bugs assigned to kde-maintainers. This
helped us to get the number of open bugs down from more than 500 (some time in
2009) to less than 300 (roughly 200 of them for 11.3). (Still too much in my
opinion to be really good to handle.)

Christian