Re: [opensuse-project] community transition
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 21:28:16 +1000
On 26/09/2010 19:09, Thomas Hertweck wrote:
On 24/09/10 10:28, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
[...]
openSUSE is, like all Free Software communities, a meritocracy. You
EARN the right to speak up (influence) by proving yourself valuable. If
you don't contribute, who the f*** are you that we should listen? We're
not a company - where managers get appointed to a position because they
had the right papers and contacts and get paid well - here, those who
actually KNOW what they are talking about are in charge. When we need
input from others (like users) we ask for it (eg see the openSUSE users
survey).
I find your statement quite ironical. You haven't contributed to SuSE or
openSUSE in the past (at least not directly), now you are being *paid* to
work on Linux (openSUSE) the whole day, and you have been *appointed* the
community manager. You get the picture?

I wrote a similar response last night - but didn't send it.

I am now glad to see that I am not the only one who has the same idea of what Jos is on about.

[pruned]

BC

--
Sound that shatters silence is called noise. Sound that enhances silence is
called music.