Re: [opensuse-project] Science and Education repos/ Scientific packages
  • From: "Esztermann, Ansgar" <Ansgar.Esztermann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 18:25:18 +0200
Hi,

have you ever tried to push anything to the science repo?

I'm in a similar position. Up to now, I'm building scientific packages in my
home project on OBS, since that makes it already much less of a burden to
install stuff on four dozen machines of varying openSUSE releases. Of course,
it would be great if others could profit from these packages as well, so I'm
all for a "real" repository.
The home page of the science repo gives a mail address to contact for
prospective participants, but I never got an answer to my message.

I'm mainly interested in biophysics packages (e.g. coot, qtiplot, xdrawchem).
As for Gromacs, we're using it quite a lot (mainly on an HPC cluster). However,
our software developer makes frequent changes, so an external (to our
department) package does us no good. Since he also prefers to install the
package manually on an NFS server ("/usr/local"), gromacs is not on my OBS list.

A.

--
Ansgar Esztermann
DV-Systemadministration