Re: [opensuse-project] Science and Education repos/ Scientific packages
  • From: Alin Marin Elena <alinm.elena@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:04:09 +0100
On Thursday 16 September 2010 19:49:26 Thomas Hertweck wrote:
On 16/09/10 11:17, Alin Marin Elena wrote:
[...]
First I would like to know what is the Education repo and what is the
science repo..
which of them would be the best place to push scientific packages.

Could you give examples of what you would typically classify as
"scientific packages"? Tools like "octave", "gnuplot" etc are part
of the standard distribution as far as I know. These are tools that
I would classify as "general purpose science tools".
I will give you example of only few packages from my immediate area of
research. They may look obscure to you and a lot of other people but keep in
mind that linux distros are used almost exclusively in science research labs.
One of the point that weighs a lot in what distro is installed by the admins
is the availability of these obscure packages...

cp2k,gromacs,octopus, abinit, alps and the list can continue and if on top of
this you add that they come in 4 flavours usually (serial, mpi, openmp and
mpi/openmp). You can easily harvest the list of packages opensource installed
on different supercomputing sites.

Alin
--

Without Questions there are no Answers!