Re: [opensuse-project] Revising the Board election rules
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 14:08:13 +0200
On Thursday 26 August 2010 13:49:03 jdd wrote:
Le 26/08/2010 13:34, Andreas Jaeger a écrit :
Yeah, goal was to elect half each year - but I fear we make it to
complicated...

Currently it just happens this way and only resignation/new appointments
will break it,

yes, many groups work like this. One detail is to forgive the people
who resign to be candidate next time, I have a group where many people
resign just to be elected again, braking the (implicit) rule :-(

the problem is to keep an elected board., with a so small members
number, appointment change too much the status of the group.

Appointment to me is an exception and so far it only happened once.

the two years/half group system allows better continuity, prevent a
complete change of politics at each elections...

So, let's rephrase that a bit differently...

there are two main problem for us:
* identify active member for voting (the member approval system fails,
nowaday: there are not sufficient number of people to check candidates)

You're part of the team, aren't you? What is hindering the team?

* clearly identifing the board work. Be part of the board seems to be
pretty boring and not that rewarding. We may have to find some way to
make the board speaking more impressive. We have elected board
members, when they speak or write, this should be important.

Yes, sure.

May be we could organise a physical meeting of the board once a year,
at a worldwide openSUSE event. We need such event, and it would be
nice if we could have it in sync with continental important open
source meeting (RMLL, FOSDEM or some other for Europe, one in asia and
one in states, on a three years round?) - but do we have the money?

We had this last year at the openSUSE conference and AFAIK it's planned again
this year at the openSUSE conference.

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany