Re: [opensuse-project] SpiderOak not in OBS for 11.2 / 11.1?
  • From: Chuck Payne <terrorpup@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:23:09 -0400
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM, C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 23:50, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM, C wrote:
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 23:24, S.Kemter wrote:
You might have to do like me and download the tar ball and install it.

sometimes u should try "zypper search" and find out it isnt necessary
that u have not to download a tarball and install it ;)

Also... SpiderOak provides RPMs right on their website... both 64 and
32 bit for openSUSE.  Not sure why you'd need to pull down a tarball.

Agreed, and I've just installed that for one of my 11.2 machines.

But it bypasses the whole openSUSE software management system.

If there is a security bug, I won't get it on this machine.

Putting SpiderOak in the online update repo is what I'd prefer to see.
 If that won't fly then it should go somewhere that would allow me to
get a security update via "zypper patch".

ie. I believe "zypper patch" is the recommended way to update a server.

fyi: I do have openSUSE 10.1 machine I still run.  I'll probably try
to get SpiderOak on it later this week.  Hopefully I can work out the
magic for that.

Right.. I know exactly why you (and I) want the apps in the supported
repos... I was thinking more in terms of Chuck's comment about
downloading a tarball.... which goes a step even further away from
managing your apps through RPM :-P

C.

The reason I like tar balls to rpm. Unless it build by the openSUSE
team. I have had bad luck. So by using a tar ball I know it build for
my system. Yes, package management is good, but some time you do have
to build.

openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein

Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.