[opensuse-project] Re: "Great" way to celebrate 5th anniversary of openSUSE
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:32:27 +0000 (UTC)
I know you said your questions are rhetorical and there's no need to
reply, but I feel somewhat compelled to reply regardless. :-)

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:55:32 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Such guidelines should pretty clearly spell out that if content is
NSFW, it doesn't belong on an openSUSE site, period, end of story.

Aren't we getting a little carried away here?

Perhaps on that front - the overriding issue is the issue that Katarina
brought up, of course.

To start with, NSFW
according to which culture and whose rules?

I'd say that for something like this, fairly conservative rules are what
would make sense. In this case, we're talking about the objectification
of women, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a modern culture that
deemed that acceptable.

It's not a question of PC-ness, it's a question of being respectful - and
it's a question of the image of the openSUSE project as a whole. On a
personal blog, I might find it inappropriate, but it's not a personal
blog that represents a product or service that I'm interested in. Pulled
into a website that is official for a product or service I care very much
for, though, it's totally inappropriate because the reader/viewer can
take that publication to be acceptance of that as a social norm/standard,
and that's what makes it objectionable from a project standpoint.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson