Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: #1 KDE distribution
  • From: Chris Jones <chrisjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:38:35 +1000

On 08/10/2010 03:26 PM, C wrote:

This concept of Linux IS Ubuntu is so all pervasive that everywhere
you go on the web to find software, research how to do something...
it's Ubuntu Ubuntu Ubuntu. Software vendors always provide Ubuntu
builds, and it's a tossup if they provide an openSUSE build.... some
do, most don't. Solutions to common problems and issues... you can
count on there being an Ubuntu solution.. openSUSE solutions might be
there, but they are harder to locate, and often very very outdated (ie
for 9.1).

Brand recognition is a major factor... and we're missing that.

Yet... openSUSE does have a clear and recognizable image... the
colors... the desktop design... the Geeko. Anyone can instantly pick
out openSUSE (assuming default setup) in a screenshot lineup.

This is a big one, and can cover a huge range of what openSUSE is.

Add to this.. make it easy to build bootable USB installs from ALL
isos, not just the LiveCDs.

I think everyone should have to install Ubuntu and use it for a few
hours to see what they have done to resolve this issue. openSUSE has
definitely made incredible strides to resolving this, but the Ubuntu
solution is... so simple.... and so user friendly.

This is well stated. This, in my mind, is the goal of defining the
goals and strategies.

C.

I have to agree with all the valid points that you make obvious in your
response C.

I am a full-time Ubuntu user and I have to be honest here, that openSUSE
has a long way to go to be close to the ease-of-use and support that
Ubuntu has built for itself.
And I also develop for Fedora and it also has much better support than
openSUSE. Albeit openSUSE is making improvement to all the
aforementioned, it's still a long way behind and not making the
improvement at a fast enough rate to catch up.
As an observer and follower of openSUSE it's a real worry of the
long-term future of openSUSE. That's not to say it doesn't have a real
future ahead of them, but things have to change, and those changes have
to happen sooner rather than later.

I find system update speed is a big issue for me with openSUSE. I
recently tested out the gold release of openSUSE 11.3. After some
dabbling around and many fresh installs, I found it just wasn't for me.
Not because I love and use Ubuntu, but because it's fast when it comes
to updates. That's just one example. I could rant and go on further
about more issues, but now is not the time or place for it to be frankly
honest.

In summary, please don't think I am putting openSUSE down, I'm not. I
just think the crucial areas that drive a Linux distributions forward
and gain market share, openSUSE is lacking almost all of them.

Just my 2 cents.

- --
http://home.comcen.com.au/foxmulder881/signature/details.html