Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: For the productive poweruser
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 08:31:06 +0200
Lørdag den 31. juli 2010 19:30:21 skrev Gerald Pfeifer:
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, Pavol Rusnak wrote:
We cannot compete with Ubuntu for the übernoob segment, and we shouldn't
compete with Fedora on being experimental bleeding edge - instead we
should pick the middle ground.

I don't think this is a fair characterization of Fedora. In my
experience Fedora has been rather solid -- at the edge of things
in terms of versions and not shy of version updates even after a
release, but it's not feeling more experimental than openSUSE,
rather more progressive.

I think that says more about deteriorating quality of openSUSE in recent
years, than it does about Fedora being reliable.

Or you must be either very lucky, or have very thick skin ;-)

This strategy would be nicely in line with SLE

Is this a benefit, a disadvantage, or neutral?

This should be a benefit. It should allow SLE development to complement the
openSUSE strategy better/more - instead of being "wasted" or perhaps even
counter-productive to the openSUSE strategy.

and what (open)SUSE has historically been

Is this a benefit, a disadvantage, or neutral?

That's a benefit. Most of our active contributors (and users) have been around
for a long time, and it's better to keep existing contributors than to try and
find new ones to replace them.

And while I'm sure most contributors are pleased with what has happened to
openSUSE on the _project_ side in recent years, I think a lot of people are
longing back to the good old days in terms of the _distro_.

* Making sure as much as possible just works out of the box
* Having good and sane defaults so the user can do what ''he'' wants to
do * Focus on providing tools for being productive/creative (IDEs,
editors,
authoring tools, graphics manipulation, office productivity, etc.)
* Providing admin tools that are powerful yet (reasonably) easy

Hard to disagree with any of these. :-) The first, second, and mostly
fourth, specifically, really would be the same across all serious
scenarios, wouldn't they?

Dunno.

E.g. 1+2 may not be essential if you pursue a "reference platform" strategy or
a "openSUSE for developers" strategy.

No. 4 is not particularly important if you'd follow a Ubuntu'esque strategy.
Powerful admin tools are certainly not a priority for them - when they do
develop admin tools they're usually dumbed down versions of existing tools -
like their AppStore thing. Similarly if we were to pursue a "#1 KDE distro"
strategy, powerful admin tools might not be a very high priority either.