Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: The Linux Distribution Platform Strategy
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 22:00:14 +0200
Fredag den 30. juli 2010 21:03:20 skrev jdd:
don't you think:

* we are making circles, without progressing;
* we are leading in a wrong direction

(I know these two statements are somewhat in opposite directions :-)

May be we should say:

* we love the present status, where openSUSE is a wide open
distribution, able to fit servers as well as newbies on desktop;

No. Not having any clear direction at all as now, is horrible. It's bad for
development and it's bad for marketing. Everybody is completely confused about
what openSUSE is or should be.

Is it a noob friendly distro? Is it a geeky, distro for experts? Is it a
Fedora where you can just dumb all the latest stuff and don't care if any of
it works? Is it a desktop-centric distro or is it a server distro?

I hear all these conflicting points of views constantly - and a lot of the
time people end up being disappointed because openSUSE isn't what they
expected.

You could argue for any of the above "identities" actually matching the status
quo - and that is why openSUSE finally needs to make a decision about what we
want to be.

And the productive poweruser strategy is an excellent proposal for it ;-)