Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: The Linux Distribution Platform Strategy
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 20:51:58 +0200
Fredag den 30. juli 2010 15:33:38 skrev Cornelius Schumacher:
On Friday 30 July 2010 14:15:28 Martin Schlander wrote:
I don't think existing nor potential contributors will be very motivated
by the idea of working to create a platform for others to "leach" on.
While openSUSE being a good everyday system for themselves is an
"accident" or after-thought.

That's not what the proposal says. The openSUSE distribution itself is a
prime component of this strategy. It's not about derivatives, it's about a
great platform, and a great distribution built on this platform.

If you don't read that in the proposal, we should adapt the text to make it
clear, that the openSUSE distribution is a primary focus, not an after-
thought.

Maybe. I read it as saying that creating a polished product is somewhere
between secondary and completely unimportant.

But communicating clearly is probably the most important aspect of the
strategy.

A) Communicate amongst ourselves what we're actually trying to do, so we can
all pull in the same general direction.

B) Communicate to outsiders what openSUSE is trying to do and not trying to do
- and it _must_ be possible to sum this up very clearly in one or two
sentences.