Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: The Linux Distribution Platform Strategy
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:46:32 +0200
On Tuesday 27 July 2010 15:01:28 Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
On Tuesday 27 July 2010 12:50:48 Andreas Jaeger wrote:

* Broad hardware support of components and platforms

So, what is the stance on Sparc, HPPA, Arm - do we want all of these as
core part of the project?

I think if somebody is doing the work to support one of these platforms it
should be welcomed by the project, but I don't think that any of these
platforms should be an explicit part of the strategy. We shouldn't rule out
any platforms either, of course.

We currently do not provide a complete home, e.g. there's no source
repository. I don't expect that the proposal wants to change this but like
to make it clear that we cannot provide a "complete home".

Yes, the home for handling the distribution parts is important, but a full
upstream code hosting platform is out of the scope of openSUSE, I think.

So it should focus on integrating very well with platforms like gitorious,
sourceforge and launchpad?!?

* Create the official openSUSE distribution as reference implementation

The "as reference implementation" strikes me as a bit odd and I'd like to
see this a bit better explained. Reference for what?

Also, isn't the distribution more than just a reference? It's a usable
distribution...

It's a reference for what you can do with openSUSE, so it's of course a
usable
distribution, but it's not the only possible distribution you can build using
the tools, packages and other infrastructure of openSUSE. Reference is meant
as a standard example what the openSUSE platform is capable to do.

So the focus does not lay here anymore, but on developing the tools to let
developers build and distribute their software. The fact openSUSE has a bunch
of reference implementations is secondairy.