RE: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Strategy Discussion: The Linux Distribution Platform Strategy

-----Original Message-----
From: Cornelius Schumacher [mailto:cschum@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 28 July 2010 09:18
To: opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Strategy Discussion: The
Linux Distribution Platform Strategy

On Wednesday 28 July 2010 09:53:32 Jim Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:00:55 +0200, Pavol Rusnak wrote:
The openSUSE distribution acts as a reference distribution, providing
an
environment for testing the used technology, a stabilizing ground for
common components, and a real-life use case for applying technology
and
distributing Linux software. It's targeted at technically interested
users, including programmers and system administrators. It has a focus
on good user experience and making technology available to end users.
It
doesn't target users with highly specific technical needs.

To me, "good user experience" isn't very specific, and in some ways
might
come across as contradicting the "no focus" area of "non-technical
users"
- not that technical users can't have a good user experience, but that
there's an implication of 'polish' that's more associated with a non-
technical audience. I hope that makes sense, because it seems at the
moment to not be easy to explain what I mean.

Good user experience isn't very specific, that's right. But the important
part
is that it is a focus. That we actually care about the experience of the
user
and take this into account when taking decisions about what to do and how
do it. What this means in details of course has to be worked out, but if
this
is a serious direction, this is just a natural part of development.

I don't think it's a contradiction to not focusing on non-technical end
users.
These are orthogonal issues. Focus on good user experience is one thing,
which
users are our target group is another thing. The "polish" will be
different
dependent on the target group, but it needs to be done to provide a good
experience in any case.

I agree - I interpret "good user experience" mostly as "it works out of the
box" and "you can do normal configuration using a GUI". Technical experts
will always want to edit the config files, but most people (I included) like
to be able to install most of the stuff I use without error messages and
without it breaking other stuff. Some of the stuff I focus more attention
on and delve into the internals, but only some.

One aspect of this which is important is stability - it worked yesterday and
it works (the same) today and I expect it to also work tomorrow, even if
I've updated / installed security patches etc. That's a big factor in
encouraging commercial companies (e.g. ATI) to provide drivers or ported
software (e.g skype) - it costs them money if they have to do extensive
retesting and incompatibility fixing every few weeks.

David