Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Strategy Discussion: The Linux Distribution Platform Strategy
  • From: Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:21:57 +0200
On Wednesday 28 July 2010 10:49:49 Jim Henderson wrote:

The Ubuntu comparison makes this clearer in my mind. Though arguably our
current userbase does include both technical and non-technical users (I
see this in the demographics in the forums, for example - it often makes
for interesting interactions between members of the two groups) - so we
might want to consider that there is a decent size non-technical user
following already that may feel left out with this direction (though it
sounds like perhaps the direction hasn't been previously defined).

Right. It's still about focus, so targeting just everybody is not possible or
likely to yield good results. Not focusing the openSUSE distribution on non-
technical users also doesn't mean that somebody else couldn't jump in and fill
that gap. It actually might be a very good and promising project to take
openSUSE and add some more end-user polishing.

The last openSUSE survey seemed to indicate that most users actually are quite
technical users, so I'm not sure how big the group would be we would leave out
with this direction.

The key differentiator here would thus be that we might include new
technology if it makes sense, but the focus is on that ultimate usability
as a reference implementation for re-spins and for a technical audience.
Do you think that captures/restates the idea here?

Yes.

--
Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx>