Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: The Linux Distribution Platform Strategy
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:04:11 +0200
Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Tuesday 2010-07-27 19:41, Per Jessen wrote:

* Create the official openSUSE distribution as reference
implementation

The "as reference implementation" strikes me as a bit odd and I'd
like
to see this a bit better explained. Reference for what?

From wikipedia:
In the software development process, a reference implementation is
the standard from which all other implementations, with their
attendant customizations, are measured, and to which all
improvements are added.

The reference implementation is the measuring stick that everybody
else uses. "Are we as good as or better than openSUSE?"

The reference implementation is what's obsolete after a few years
usually. Can't let that happen to openSUSE, happened with Debian, sort
of.

It can't be obsolete and be a refimpl at the same time, it's as easy as
that. When the standard(s) move, the refimpl has to lead the way.

Anyway, because we don't actually have a standard, we have to set it -
if we can't meet our own standards, we've lost the game before it
starts :-(

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.4°C)