Re: [opensuse-project] The new wiki search plain sucks
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:40:41 +0200
On Tuesday 13 July 2010 07:21:27 C wrote:
Might be better to send something like this to: opensuse-wiki@xxxxxxxxxxxx

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 04:58, Stephan Kleine wrote:
I don't know who decided on where the new wikis search searches and I
don't care but the current way just sucks.

Where MedaiWiki searches - if it's using the default search isn't
really all that controllable. MedaiWiki search is rather poor (and
acknowledged as such).

E.g. go to the wiki and try to find the former "How to install the NVIDIA
drivers" article as shown at http://old-en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA_drivers

E.g. search for "nvidia" and note the first article shown there is
something about compiz without the proper one being in sight.

From a human being standpoint I agree the search returns less than
useful results. From a MediaWiki search algorithm... it's what I
expect. It searches page titles and if it doesn't find an exact match
it then guesses what to present based on a page content search. It's
a bad guesser.

I've been told that most look for information about the project but I
dare to differ cause most ppl - IMHO - look for solutions.

Info about the project or solutions is not the problem here.... it's
MedaiWiki's poor default search.

If you think that the most important stuff is to offer information about
the project then please split it up into 2 wikis:

That would be a nightmare and a recipe for disaster in my opinion.
Right, two wiki just won't work by definition.

A better solution would be to refine or change the search engine used
in the Wiki. MWSearch and GoogleSiteSearch (or alternatively the
Google Custom Search Engine) do a much much much better job at
producing useful results. My suggestion is that instead of splitting
into two Wikis, we simple fix the broken default search that everyone
knows is useless... replace it with something that actually works
(meaning that provides more useful results).
Yes, we need to fix our search.
Imo we need to agree on a broader number of name spaces included in the
default search. Yesterday I looked for Ambassadors with no result. And the
small notification ..only some name spaces are searched is especially tricky
the more you have a user in front of the wiki. What's a name space, what's the
difference between Main and openSUSE etc. ?

Best
Michael

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MWSearch
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GoogleSiteSearch