Re: [opensuse-project] The new wiki search plain sucks
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:50:01 +0200
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 08:13, Martin Schlander wrote:
Tirsdag den 13. juli 2010 04:58:36 skrev Stephan Kleine:
I don't know who decided on where the new wikis search searches and I don't
care but the current way just sucks.

E.g. go to the wiki and try to find the former "How to install the NVIDIA
drivers" article as shown at http://old-en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA_drivers

E.g. search for "nvidia" and note the first article shown there is
something about compiz without the proper one being in sight.

I noticed the exact same problem. But if you check the checkbox to include the
SDB namespace in the search, the proper Nvidia article is found.

I think the SDB namespace should be included in searches by default along
"main" and "Portal:"

That's easy to set...
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgNamespacesToBeSearchedDefault

On the topic of how poor the default search is...
http://www.searchtools.com/analysis/mediawiki-search/index-mediawiki-search-stinks.html