Re: [opensuse-project] The new wiki search plain sucks
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 07:21:27 +0200
Might be better to send something like this to: opensuse-wiki@xxxxxxxxxxxx

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 04:58, Stephan Kleine wrote:
I don't know who decided on where the new wikis search searches and I don't
care but the current way just sucks.

Where MedaiWiki searches - if it's using the default search isn't
really all that controllable. MedaiWiki search is rather poor (and
acknowledged as such).

E.g. go to the wiki and try to find the former "How to install the NVIDIA
drivers" article as shown at http://old-en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA_drivers

E.g. search for "nvidia" and note the first article shown there is something
about compiz without the proper one being in sight.

From a human being standpoint I agree the search returns less than
useful results. From a MediaWiki search algorithm... it's what I
expect. It searches page titles and if it doesn't find an exact match
it then guesses what to present based on a page content search. It's
a bad guesser.

I've been told that most look for information about the project but I dare to
differ cause most ppl - IMHO - look for solutions.

Info about the project or solutions is not the problem here.... it's
MedaiWiki's poor default search.

If you think that the most important stuff is to offer information about the
project then please split it up into 2 wikis:

That would be a nightmare and a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

A better solution would be to refine or change the search engine used
in the Wiki. MWSearch and GoogleSiteSearch (or alternatively the
Google Custom Search Engine) do a much much much better job at
producing useful results. My suggestion is that instead of splitting
into two Wikis, we simple fix the broken default search that everyone
knows is useless... replace it with something that actually works
(meaning that provides more useful results).

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MWSearch
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GoogleSiteSearch
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Google_Custom_Search_Engine

C.