Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE versioning scheme
  • From: Peter Albrecht <albrecht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:58:56 +0200
I did not follow all of this thread, so just a few comments.

copying Ubuntu would also make openSUSE the laugh of the town.

And why? My impression (and I have no idea if it's right -- on the
contrary, I'd be happy to be proven wrong) is that you're saying this
because you don't like Ubuntu in some way.

There are _many_ reasons why I would hate to see openSUSE mimic Ubuntu in
whatever way.

Why change? Even since the days of S.u.S.E it always been x.0, x.1,
x.2, x.3 and I think a couple times x.4. We shouldn't change to any
other distro naming ways. We are openSUSE, more and more lately I
think we are trying to hard to mirror *buntu. Come on, leave it alone.

Well said.

I really like the current scheme with openSUSE x.1 being the base for SLE.
In in my opinion it makes perfectly sense: openSUSE is "bleeding edge
technology" for the enthusiast, SLE is mature technology for (paying)
customers who are looking for professional support models.

Training, Projekte, Beratung rund um Open Source Software

Peter Albrecht Tel: +49-(0)-89-89040475
Ulmenstraße 7 Mob: +49-(0)-173-3528664
85609 Aschheim