Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE versioning scheme
  • From: Peter Albrecht <albrecht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:58:56 +0200
I did not follow all of this thread, so just a few comments.

copying Ubuntu would also make openSUSE the laugh of the town.

And why? My impression (and I have no idea if it's right -- on the
contrary, I'd be happy to be proven wrong) is that you're saying this
because you don't like Ubuntu in some way.

There are _many_ reasons why I would hate to see openSUSE mimic Ubuntu in
whatever way.

Why change? Even since the days of S.u.S.E it always been x.0, x.1,
x.2, x.3 and I think a couple times x.4. We shouldn't change to any
other distro naming ways. We are openSUSE, more and more lately I
think we are trying to hard to mirror *buntu. Come on, leave it alone.

Well said.

I really like the current scheme with openSUSE x.1 being the base for SLE.
In in my opinion it makes perfectly sense: openSUSE is "bleeding edge
technology" for the enthusiast, SLE is mature technology for (paying)
customers who are looking for professional support models.

Regards,

Peter

--
Training, Projekte, Beratung rund um Open Source Software

Peter Albrecht Tel: +49-(0)-89-89040475
Ulmenstraße 7 Mob: +49-(0)-173-3528664
85609 Aschheim https://www.xing.com/profile/Peter_Albrecht3