Re: [opensuse-project] Strategy: comment on users and contributors
  • From: Marcus Moeller <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 08:52:14 +0200
Dear Uwe,

On Sunday 04 July 2010 18:54:52 Marcus Moeller wrote:
I think your summary is very good. I personally don't like the word
'user' at all because for me a user is similar to 'consumer' or
'lurker' and is no win for the project at all.

But we do all that for the users. Users are the reason why the project
exists at all.

Sorry, this is not how the open source ecosystem works. Your
perspective is the classic business model view (and which is how SUSE
has been delivered for quite a long time).

What is the benefit for the project of attracting users (besides
telling them they should contribute if they use Open Source). It's a
give and take, you cannot survive only by giving (unless you're
earning money with). I even can't agree with Andreas that users give
us acknowledgement as this is really worthless.

An I can't repeat it as often: it's really easy to contribute and
everybody should be able to. You are contributing if you report a bug,
send feedback, and track the responses, too.

--
Greets
Marcus