Re: [opensuse-project] Strategy: comment on users and contributors
  • From: "Bryen M. Yunashko" <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 12:18:06 -0500
On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 11:00 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Sunday 2010-07-04 10:41, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

* People helping this new user are contributing to the openSUSE Project.
* Users also become contributors by writing documentation
* moderating discussions
* administrating infrastructure
* by with translations existing documentations and openSUSE wiki pages.
* programming ability
* openSUSE Ambassadors running booths
* making presentations at conferences and local LUGs
* report a bug using bugzilla.
* blogging, marketing, and other means, which then attracts even more users.

All of these are forms of contributions. Some are easier to quantify
(in bytes, lines, # of BZ reports, # of SRs), and should thus
"always" count.

Just acknowledge that some things, such as marketing, are not easily
quantifiable and convey this issue in the registered membership
application process.

You're absolutely right that not all "marketing" efforts are easily
quantifiable. For example, I personally believe the person who doesn't
blog or speak publicly about openSUSE but does spread the word by
telling his neighbors and co-workers and encouraging them to try out
openSUSE is just as equally important a contributing marketer as anyone
else in the Project.

But, alas, for membership purposes, this is difficult to prove. Maybe
we should distribute CD's like the old days with AOL where there was a
hidden code on media that attributed to the person who distributed the
media. :-) (I'm only kidding here, we're certainly not going to do
that!)

Anyway, Jan, your point is valid and certainly one that membership
approval process has always wrestled with. I just want to remind
everyone that this thread isn't about membership, its about the
definition of users and contributors within the scope of overall
openSUSE strategy proposal and how we work with the various people that
come to us (or we go to.) Most certainly, however, depending on the
outcome of our final strategy agreed upon, the membership approval
process will take some of its direction from that strategy.

Bryen M Yunashko
openSUSE Board Member