[opensuse-project] Re: Why I wont use the forums
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 17:49:42 +0000 (UTC)

[sent later]

On 2010-06-29 21:52, Jim Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:57:35 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Perhaps what is needed is a read-only nntp group with quick help tips
such as what is appropriate on each forum/group, how to post, etc. I
think I saw some tips (I'm talking out of year-old memories) on the
web interface, but I don't see them on NNTP.

We try to make the names pretty self-descriptive; many newsreaders can
read a description field (it's optional in the RFC as I recall) that
gives a text description of the group. I don't know if the server we
use can present that, but I think it can.

I don't recall seeing it. Hovering the mouse pointer over the names do
not show a description in thunderbird, so either the server doesn't send
it or Th. doesn't use it. But I have a foggy recollection of seeing
descriptions with leafnode.

What I meant was I don't know if the feature is enabled - if it is, there
may not be descriptions filled in, and that's something we might be able
to do.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson