Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Why I wont use the forums
  • From: DenverD <DenverD@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:37:03 +0200

Carlos E. R. wrote:
[sent later]

On 2010-06-29 21:52, Jim Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:57:35 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Perhaps what is needed is a read-only nntp group with quick help tips
such as what is appropriate on each forum/group, how to post, etc. I
think I saw some tips (I'm talking out of year-old memories) on the web
interface, but I don't see them on NNTP.
We try to make the names pretty self-descriptive; many newsreaders can
read a description field (it's optional in the RFC as I recall) that
gives a text description of the group. I don't know if the server we use
can present that, but I think it can.

I don't recall seeing it. Hovering the mouse pointer over the names do not
show a description in
thunderbird, so either the server doesn't send it or Th. doesn't use it. But
I have a foggy
recollection of seeing descriptions with leafnode.

perhaps that info could be incorporated into the info at
http://en.opensuse.org/Communicate with the same level of detail as is
provided for say Mailing List, IRC etc.. ??

for example, maybe something like the following with one for each
forum/sub:

------sample--------
Install/Boot/Login - Questions about installation, login, boot issues,
partitioning, file systems, software that runs at boot (GRUB, LILO,
boot scripts). Join us via HTTP at [link] or via NNTP at [link].
------end sample--------

since the descriptive words are found at the top of the first page of
each form, populating an info set similar to that available for ML is
mostly just a matter of copy/paste..

HOWEVER i do not see that that /Communicate page is slated for
movement to the new wiki.... ???

DenverD