Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Why I wont use the forums
  • From: DenverD <DenverD@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:37:03 +0200

Carlos E. R. wrote:
[sent later]

On 2010-06-29 21:52, Jim Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:57:35 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Perhaps what is needed is a read-only nntp group with quick help tips
such as what is appropriate on each forum/group, how to post, etc. I
think I saw some tips (I'm talking out of year-old memories) on the web
interface, but I don't see them on NNTP.
We try to make the names pretty self-descriptive; many newsreaders can
read a description field (it's optional in the RFC as I recall) that
gives a text description of the group. I don't know if the server we use
can present that, but I think it can.

I don't recall seeing it. Hovering the mouse pointer over the names do not
show a description in
thunderbird, so either the server doesn't send it or Th. doesn't use it. But
I have a foggy
recollection of seeing descriptions with leafnode.

perhaps that info could be incorporated into the info at with the same level of detail as is
provided for say Mailing List, IRC etc.. ??

for example, maybe something like the following with one for each

Install/Boot/Login - Questions about installation, login, boot issues,
partitioning, file systems, software that runs at boot (GRUB, LILO,
boot scripts). Join us via HTTP at [link] or via NNTP at [link].
------end sample--------

since the descriptive words are found at the top of the first page of
each form, populating an info set similar to that available for ML is
mostly just a matter of copy/paste..

HOWEVER i do not see that that /Communicate page is slated for
movement to the new wiki.... ???