Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: Mobile and cloud ready distribution
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 13:43:38 +0200
Tirsdag den 29. juni 2010 13:12:30 skrev Guido Berhoerster:
I find this one exemplary for the arbitraryness of the whole
strategy debate which seems to be centered around the notion that
having a new stratgey is an end in itself while completely
disregarding the existing community structure and the needs and
preferences of users and contributors. Of course you can adopt a
strategy in a top-down fashion, but who is going to sustain it at
the end, Novell employees?

That's going a bit far I think. The strategy proposals are discussed openly
and build upon an analysis of existing strenghts, weaknesses, opportunities
and threats (swot) after all. So it's not really a top-down thing, and it's
not completely disregarding existing reality either.

But I do agree that all the proposals are going from one extreme to the other.
From basically having no explicit strategy/direction/mission whatsoever, to
having an extremely narrow focus. And that is also going way too far :-)