Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: Mobile and cloud ready distribution
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 08:25:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Tuesday 2010-06-29 07:51, Per Jessen wrote:
Pavol Rusnak wrote:

openSUSE - Mobile and cloud ready distribution
[snip]

3.) Background:

We have discussed our expectations for the future and we understand
the "Google vision" where Google (as well as other companies but
Google is the prime example here) hosts all data that then follows
mobile users to wherever they are and whatever kind of (mobile) device
they have. Our tweak here is that we think some customers do not wish
to use the public infrastructure for their data.

I don't think openSUSE belongs in the space - this sounds like a
proposal to turn openSUSE into a service provider.

For the rest, I think it will make for a very narrow, very focused
distribution.

And there is no foothold to gain. There are already enough other
distributions to fill that area. Of course it would be great if
openSUSE were as omnipresent as Microsoft products, but if,
as the strategy wants, anything outside the mobile world is
forgotten that just can't happen logically.